Wednesday 15 January 2014

Between two worlds



I am a Roman Catholic. And I am proud of being one. Why is that? Is it just cos it’s the largest Christian denomination with about 1.2 billion adherers? Or is it cos of its far reaching influences across the whole world?
Although, in no way I am a true Christian, I love the fact that I was born  into a Christian family. Raised and loved by Christian parents. And being a Christian, one thing I have understood is that you have to suffer. Suffer–both internally and to the external world. It’s a struggle. But the very mention of the word “struggle” despairs us. I wonder what did Jesus mean when He said  “This yoke is easy to bear, and this burden is light.”
The Roman Catholic is not without its share of shame and guilt. And I hope Pope Francis put things right. He is kinda ubiquitous now. I must say, I see him now and then in the newspapers. If I were to meet him…what would I say? Hmm…
I have to say to stop a custom that is sometimes hurtful being followed by the churches here in my state. For example, my dad who was a Knanaya Roman Catholic fell in love with my mom who unfortunately was not one. She was a Christian, but not catholic. So you see, the Knanaya  Church with all its ideology and beliefs removed my dad from it. And so me, mom and my sister all are now just Roman Catholics...without the Knanaya part. As a result, now my grandfather and grandma (pure Knanaya) are buried in a different church to where my dad rests. So Im like…why this separation? Why can’t we all be one? Church is supposed to bring unity…not disunion. Im not opposing anyone. Just wanted to say that it hurt me.
Next I would invite him to my wedding…that is, if there is one. It’s just a silly wish. lol
Assuming that I am Knanaya. He will have to see me …being removed from the Knanaya community if I were to marry a non-Knanaya girl. It kinda makes you guilty to fall in love. Like an offense.
But that’s not the reason why I invited him. I just needed his blessing….that’s all. Who wouldn’t love to be blessed by a Pope? And who wouldn’t love to confess to the Pope? I mean…he is the Pope.


No comments:

Post a Comment